Friday, July 23, 2010

Crafts

I am NOT a crafty person. I never remember enjoying doing crafts except maybe when I was a Brownie. BUT... I think I may be enjoying them now, more than ever (that's not saying a lot). Introducing them to my kids and seeing how enthused they are (mostly Jaron at this age), puts a huge smile on my face and encourages me to think up more fun things for them to do. Jaron is almost 3 1/2 and I think it's time he learned how to focus his thoughts and have a project to look forward to each day. Mostly I want to make sure he (and Abbie if she wants) learns to sit and focus on something that he can create himself. I believe it's good for the mind and allows them to use their mind freely. So my goal is to have them sit at the table after breakfast each day for 15-30 minutes working on something, whether it be playdough, cutting up magazines, finger painting, coloring, drawing, dry-erase board, learning his letters and numbers, or making something creative.
Here is where it begins. He will be learning how to write his name, one letter a day, one day at a time. Today Jaron learned how to write a "J".  Then we cut out all the "j's" we could find in a magazine and glued them onto his "J page".  He did rather well. Our progress will be added to our "Craft Wall".


Then for lunch, randomly, I decided to pull out the food coloring and have them color their cheese quesadillas. It helped them to be more interested in what they were eating.


Eating their art!

3 comments:

SimplyKry said...

This reminds me of Green Eggs and Ham. Perhaps a new book should be made!

Rainbow Colored Quasadillas :)

tiffany said...

That is so creative of you, Mary! Looks like they are such a good time. You are right, it is good for them to learn to sit and focus for a while too.

geniene simrak said...

Wow, Mary! For not being a crafty person, you're certainly on your game! Very inspiring. Did Jaron actually eat those quesadillas?? ;)